I look at the supply list for this card and have to ask myself why I thought this would be a good swap card at Leadership! And of course, this was the card that still needed some assembly after I arrived in Orlando. (I’m sure I was in good company!)
The Faux Rusted Metal technique was recently presented by Allison Okamitsu, a Stampin’ Up! Artisan Award winner. You can see her video tutorial on the Stampin’ Up! blog, Get Inspired, HERE. I was all set to play along when I realized I was missing a key ingredient: Pool Party Stampin’ Emboss Powder. So I improvised by starting with a heart die cut from Coastal Cabana card stock. I think my technique was a bit simpler, but the effect still looked like weathered, rusty metal.
Here’s how we created the heart in camp last month for this card:
- On pre-cut Coastal Cabana heart, sponge Cajun Craze ink in blotches.
- Dry ink with Heat Tool (hold die cut with wooden skewer so it doesn’t blow away).
- Using sponge, barely apply VersaMark to heart.
- After applying Gold embossing powder and before heating it, use cotton swab to push powder off some areas. Some areas of card stock base and some Cajun Craze ink should be showing.
- Heat embossing powder to melting point.
- Apply additional Cajun Craze ink over embossing, drying it with Heat Tool enough to make parts of the embossed areas dull.